Fresh Veggies

Fresh Veggies
great produce=Great eating

Monday, July 2, 2012

Wonderful dry hot weather..Healthy Fermenting this week

As we are not likely to get any rain or damp weather for many weeks I am now preparing a week of glorious fermenting.
I have begun making some rejuvelak, I use own sprouted rye berries ( takes 4 days of rinsing and draining, for them to sprout to size I like) and soak them and allow to ferment, for about 3 days in triple filtered water...it makes a wonderful dairy-free probiotic..which helps to neutralize stomach acid and aid to restoring the flora and fauna of the intestines ( great for anyone who is dairy-fee, I also add dried spiralina to my drink)







all above photos, the  sourdough starter ingredients



I am also making a new sour dough starter ( my present one is 7yrs old and was made from some own grown apples but I want to make another one to share with friend's) from some organic wild plums from a friend's house in Venice CA..I have posted some photos and you can see the "bloom" on the fruit that is usually lost in the large scale market fruits ( which tend to be washed as soon as they are picked).
Just put equal parts of flour ( any flour) and filtered water in a large jug/glass jar  add some of the fresh fruit ( don't wash or cut it up), cover it with a porus cloth ( I use paper towel secured with  rubber band), leave in a warm and air flowing place and every day stir it well, after about a week the yeast will have developed, strain out the fruit then feed the starter for about 3 days with fresh water and flour..then use for bread or waffle making...as I do every Sunday night.


These 2 rye berries fermenting( for 3 days) in filtered water, for the rejuvelak

Also when the rejuvealk is ready, I am going to make some nut cheese ...ferment some soaked ( soak overnight in filtered water, drain and add to rejuvelak), raw cashews, sunflower seeds or almonds for 3 days ..stirring, then blend with garlic, and nutritional yeast, turmeric and tamari ( wheat free soy sauce)..dehydrate for about 4 hours or overnight.( in a 200f oven with the door open)..then it is ready to slice/spread for  great salads and sandwiches..honestly apart from it not melting in any cooked dishes, the flavor is a great alternative to dairy cheese.

Naturally fermented foods when done correctly  (kept covered and prepared under hygienic conditions) it helps the immune system,  and have been used for thousands of years in promoting well being..don't be scared..

The recent winds and squirrels have caused a friend's Sta Rosa plum tree to lose most if it's fruit, in England we call this "windfall"...I have poached some  of the very red plums with red wine and cinnamon and will freeze this & use this as a base for sweet sauces and chutney ( with some of my own grown green tomatoes) later in the year...



the poached plums in red wine and cinnamon

own grown this month








No comments:

Post a Comment