Fresh Veggies

Fresh Veggies
great produce=Great eating

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy 4th of July America..Paella by any other name (IBIZA MEMORIES)

I did most of my prep for tomorrow's deliveries early this morning and I am about to get ready to join the thousands of Back Yard Barbeque Masters as  I also celebrate America's birthday....
for tomorrow's menu I tried to steer as far away as possible from all the grilled, high caloric dishes that are traditionally served today, here is what my client's have chosen to eat:

A light and tasty cool soup of Green Peas and Cucumber, made with a potato base, with  fresh dill and lemon zest...finished with coconut milk

A sweetcorn -zucchini soup also to be served chilled this has hints of cumin and is made with rice milk.
The secret here is to use fresh sweetcorn and make a stock from the corn husks ..adds so many layers of flavor


Free-form whole wheat poppy seed and toasted flax seed tarts with baked eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, olives, rosemary, and own grown tomatoes..the base is sprouted almond cream.

A fantastic artichoke and cashew "paella" ( the best paella I have ever had was made by the husband of our housekeeper in Ibiza, he made it for special occasions and was a chicken and garlic spectacular with hints of paprika and saffron, wonderful, he was the local butcher and the recipe was a family one from the mainland..it also took all day to make..traditional Spanish Paellas are either meat OR fish, never the 2 combined).
This vegan version is made with onions, garlic, fresh sweetcorn, cashew nuts, medium grain brown rice( it is a better "bite" than traditional long grain) turmeric, smoked paprika,  peas, sugar plum tomatoes, black olives, smoked red bell peppers, artichokes and finished with chopped cilantro..If I close my eyes I can pretend I am back in Ibiza..a hearty if not exact copy of the original.

Then my ever popular mixed collard-mustard greens with lemon..I saute steamed greens in olive oil with very thinly sliced lemons to allow the bitterness to convert to almost sweetness, finished with coarse sea salt.

Own grown bean sprouts, adzuki, chickpea, beige lentil and green pea

and later tomorrow morning  mini strawberry vanilla cakes

The Cucumber-green pea soup
The Sweetcorn and Zucchini soup




No comments:

Post a Comment