Fresh Veggies

Fresh Veggies
great produce=Great eating

Saturday, May 5, 2012

TGGD Shopping with The Aga Khan's armed guards, Sardinia 1970's

I stepped out of the limo and immediately was surrounded by armed guards.
 (dark suits, sunglasses and guns at the ready) When  I needed to enter a grocers store, the shop would be cleared of all other customers and guards put on the all the doors..with one guard in tow, I could then shop "alone" for whatever I needed...but I was not allowed any contact with the shop keeper.

All my provisions where then put into the back of the limos and we made our way back to the harbor, at Porto Cervo and waiting boats.
This was the 1970's I was in Sardinia, on a "working vacation" ( I had been promised 4 weeks off but that all changed when the family met the yacht's cook and decided they wanted me instead) with my Kuwaiti family and the guards were loaned from  Prince Aga Khan, whose yacht was anchored close to ours.
Sardinia then had a reputation for kidnappers, so I had  to be well guarded.

From my shopping trip we sailed to Calle de Volpe, Bay of the Fox (where they shot had a James Bond movie..I think the Man with the Golden Gun, where a car comes out of the ocean), and made a BBQ on the beach, which the helicopter blew over when it brought the family off the yacht, in for lunch!!

On Monday I am making some great salads and one includes Ful Medames...a marinated broad bean/large fava bean, very 'meaty" and tasty, I love these.
They are found everywhere around the Med. coast line stores, dried or marinated fresh or canned and are one of my favorite beans.
I am also making my famous Baba Ghanoush a smokey eggplant dip THE FULL RECIPE IS IN THE GREAT GRANNY  Diet ebook a curry spiced carrot dip ( base is lebne..yogurt cheese)...the rest of the menu is Mexican Fajitas, English Vegetable, Shepherd's Pie, and a Moroccan inspired couscous salad
 A strawberry Eve's Pudding, and some authentic Chocolate Chunk Cookies
 3 types of bread, a ( non-dairy) sour dough with almonds a Blue Cornbread, and my fermented brown rice and lentil dosas..nothing like mixing it up!

When I worked for my Kuwaiti family I had to prepare ( from scratch) at least 6 starters and 6 entrees for each lunch and dinner, could not repeat the same dish in a 2 week period and no left overs..the crew on the yacht could not believe it..and this is another reason the yacht's original chef had to cook for the crew instead of the guests the whole time we were on board.
Also mealtimes were scattered over a 20 hour time period daily!

photographs and more info to follow......












Roman style fresh fava beans


Sour dough bread first rise

chocolate chunk cookies











No comments:

Post a Comment