Fresh Veggies

Fresh Veggies
great produce=Great eating

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Just some photos of my flowering cactus....

It is important when growing vegetables to also grow flowers to attract pollinating insects.
I had no idea when I was given 2 of these cactus (I now have over 8) that their flowers were so wonderful and mysterious.
They only flower at night and the flowers are up to 9 inches across.
Bright white to ivory, large "feather like" petals with a wonderful yellow interior.
They are fully opened around 10 pm and are are closing by 7am.
They rely on moths and night flying insects for pollination although they do attract bees in the early morning..tonight I have 4 blossoms coming out and will post more photos later..just posted the 4 flowers from Aug 14th night....
I appreciate that my blog is read on every continent, and some of you do not have the luck to have these beautiful cactus, so enjoy ...from me to you

it begins to open around dusk


10pm fully opened
the center



2pm the following day..almost closed up, it will later drop off without flowering again

the 4 larger buds will open tonight

flower bud close-up







No comments:

Post a Comment