Fresh Veggies

Fresh Veggies
great produce=Great eating

Friday, March 1, 2013

It's almost 90f in my back garden and I am drying olives..yes I AM in Los Angeles, California!

Hello to all my readers today, in no particular order, inUSA, UK, Israel, South Korea, Russia, Germany, Belize, Sweden, Switzerland, France, &  Ukraine!

Today it is a very warm, March 1st and it is almost 90F in my back garden, the tomato plants are weary of the heat and my "spring" bulbs are confused.


Today day 2

Today at 1pm

Straining the soaking oil through a coffee filter to clean

Day 1




Last July I purchased some great, salt cured black olives from a Middle Eastern Market and  they have been soaking in Extra Virgin Olive oil with garlic, own grown chili's, thyme, rosemary..now I have drained the oil and am straining it through a coffee filter to use later in salads, and the olives have been sun drying outside for 2 days..I think they will be ready for packing tonight, I am going to sprinkle them lightly with sea salt so they don't all stick together and the release a little more of their moisture while packed


Italian Heirloom Tomatoes........in my garden right now these 7 photos

mini tomatoes

flat leaf parsley

Salad tomatoes

Perpetual Basil..flowers all year..attracts bees

Flowering rosemary

flowering culinary sage

They will resemble "Kalamata style" oil packed olives when ready.
I have never done this before but I am very pleased with the results..as with all preserving they have remained completely covered with oil in a cool dry place.
Please enjoy the photos the dried olives will be featured in upcoming dishes.
And it has been exactly 12 months and over 14,000 worldwide readers since I began this food blog, thank you for reading my blog, John

Marques de Valdueza Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Google Affiliate Ad) 

 

1 comment:

  1. The olives are delicious peppery from the chili, tender and salty...I will be making more next month for the Fall

    ReplyDelete